Note: Football is known as soccer in
Soccer is the world’s most popular sport, but it hasn’t quite caught on in the
Wanting to know why Americans are not interested in soccer, I browsed through the Web to search for an answer. Based on the info I have, Americans dislike soccer because of the following reasons:
- Low scoring, boring
- Games often end in tie
- Competition from other sports – for players, spectators and sponsorship
- Soccer is difficult to understand (Well, I don’t understand American football either.)
- Soccer is a game for sissies. (Huh!!?)
- Players are not allowed to use their hands (What is wrong with that?)
- Soccer is an English game, therefore un-American. (But American football evolved from rugby, another English game.)
It is true that goals are scarce in soccer. A match with one or no goal can really be boring. On the plus side, fans get excited every time the teams they support score. Too many goals can spoil the fun.
A point in a basketball match is like your weekly wages. A goal in a football match is like hitting the jackpot. We need wages, but we look forward to the jackpot…
P/S I think 2 to 8 goals per match is perfect.