Sunday, April 20, 2008

License to Shoot


I came across a story in BBC News Online…

~~~~~~~~

Phil Smith thought ex-EastEnder Letitia Dean turning on the Christmas lights in Ipswich would make a good snap for his collection.

The 49-year-old started by firing off a few shots of the warm-up act on stage. But before the main attraction showed up, Mr Smith was challenged by a police officer who asked if he had a license for the camera.

~~~~~~~~

(Read the full story here.)


License for the camera??? What the…

Just as digital cameras are becoming more common everyday, misplaced fear for crime and terrorism is preventing amateur photographers from enjoying their hobby. I personally have been stopped by security guards from taking pictures in shopping malls, LRT train station and KL Low Cost Carrier Terminal.

It looks like I should return to Khaosan Road, Bangkok, to get a fake journalist ID

12 comments:

  1. Haha, need to boost my resumes at Khaosan Road too.

    Hmm... which school's PhD should I get this time? =p

    ReplyDelete
  2. shingo
    How about Harvard? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wary when taking pictures. In some places, cameras are not allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. happysurfer
    Sometimes the "no camera" rules are illogical :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. just like i cant understand why some restaurants do not allow the customers to take photographs of the food...
    are they trying to hide something ? or they are not "proud" of their food ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. 迷迭香
    Maybe they think you can 'steal' their recipe by taking photos of their food, LOL...

    How paranoid they are :S

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah, as last time I posted before that I feel really paiseh to take photos in public.. sigh

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never been stopped to take photos before. Only once when watching a musical show in China. We are not allowed to take photo for the first 10 minutes because there is a nudity scene!

    ReplyDelete
  9. keeyit
    You should learn to not feel paiseh...

    I also try hard to overcome my shyness when I ask a girl, "Can I take a picture of you?" :P

    jam
    If you use a pocket camera and take a snap shot in less than 1 minute, usually you can escape the guard's warning. I use a big camera and often spend 10 minutes taking pictures. That's the problem.

    Nude scene in the first 10 minutes? It should have been in the end...

    ReplyDelete
  10. it is very silly to think that way when we are refering to food !!
    if interior display or fashion then maybe....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Get a journalist ID for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 迷迭香
    A lot of the "no camera" rules are silly. That's why I make noise here.

    neo
    Need a photo to make a fake journalist ID ;P

    ReplyDelete