Sunday, May 18, 2008

Make travel more fun

The Star published an article, How to make travel more fun, on May 8, 2008. I reproduce the tips here, together with my own views.

  1. Decide what really makes your travel enjoyable before choosing your destination/s. What are you looking to get out of this trip? (If you ask this question on youngsters, I bet many would reply, “My friends want to go there, so I follow lor…”)
  2. Make sure to eat healthy and get plenty of sleep in the days leading up to your journey. (I fell sick the day before I left for Bali in 2005! I wished AirAsia would allow me to change my departure date.)
  3. Put on a cheery face when conversing with hotel staff, airline agents and the like, even when problems arise. (People who travel in package tour are less likely to interact with hotel staff and airline agents. Tour guides usually handle all the problems.)
  4. Be ready to be adventurous. Try a food you normally wouldn’t eat, an activity you’ve never indulged in. (Fried insects, anyone? This blogger has tasted them in Chiang Mai.)
  5. Interact with the locals and ask about the best places to eat and coolest things to do. (Not just locals, but travelers from other countries. Again, people on package tour are less likely to do so.)
  6. Splurge on yourself now and then. (Can anyone give me a clue?)
  7. Follow your heart and do what you feel like. (Planning in advance is good, but be ready to change your itinerary. If you join a package tour you are out of luck.)

Given tips 3, 5 and 7, it’s no wonder that I would rather be a backpacker.

10 comments:

  1. Decide what really makes your travel enjoyable before choosing your destination/s. What are you looking to get out of this trip? (If you ask this question on youngsters, I bet many would reply, “My friends want to go there, so I follow lor…”)

    I would say, "I want to go there, so my friends follow lor..."

    :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...agree!
    Maybe not as cool as a real backpacker, but at least follow my own desires.
    我推崇行动和心灵上的自由:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. day-dreamer
    It sounds like you are a 'big sister' with a number of followers (马仔) :P

    sinji
    You have a good mindset :)

    BTW, my e-mail is khengsiong.chew@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. There also advantages and disadvantages joining a tour package. The same applies to backpacking. For example, local tour guide usually knows more and this can enhance our traveling experience. Whereas, backpackers have more freedom. For me, I will backpack if I can get a cheap air ticket. If not, I will follow agency to save on ticket cost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never wanted a packaged tour, preferring to wander around on my own and experience things my own way with my own timeframe.

    Backpacking would be good (not that I can handle it anymore).

    ReplyDelete
  6. jam
    Package tour definitely has its advantages. What I usually do is that I join a tour that last between 1/2 day and 2 days after I arrive at a place. I don't join an 'outbound' tour right from Malaysia. Joining an 'inbound' tour also gives me a chance to mix with travelers from other countries.

    thailandchani
    Thanks for dropping by. You may want to check out my other blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pros and cons but generally I'd prefer the luxury of a guided tour in which everything major is being taken care of, e.g., accommodation, transportation, tours, meals. My idea of a holiday is to enjoy it with minimal hassle and effort. It's not called holiday for nothing, right? Nevertheless, to each his own. Thanks for sharing the tips, KS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Btw, #6 is really sound advice. The way I interpret it is, give yourself a treat now and then, such as go somewhere you've always wanted to go but could mean you'd need to spend more. Another example would be to get yourself that really nice but expensive item which you spotted in a shop. Splurge on yourself now and then. Life is made up of being-generous-to-yourself too. Whatever! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. happysurfer
    It's certainly not wrong with guided tour. But have you wondered why people take all the efforts to set up the furniture they buy from Ikea? One word - DIY.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agree with you!

    ReplyDelete